INVESTIGATING LEARNERS’ NEGOTIATION OF MEANING AND LANGUAGE AWARENESS BASED ON LEARNERS’ LEVEL OF PROFICIENCY

ANGGREINI KHANDARI, 1623042007 (2019) INVESTIGATING LEARNERS’ NEGOTIATION OF MEANING AND LANGUAGE AWARENESS BASED ON LEARNERS’ LEVEL OF PROFICIENCY. Masters thesis, MASTER IN ENGLISH TEACHING STUDY PROGRAM.

[img]
Preview
Text
ABSTRACT.pdf

Download (11Kb) | Preview
[img] Text
A THESIS FULL.pdf
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (959Kb)
[img]
Preview
Text
A THESIS WITHOUT RESULT DISSCUTION.pdf

Download (960Kb) | Preview

Abstrak

The research aimed to find out the process of negotiation of meaning in terms of signals and responses made by the students, investigate students’ awareness toward their interlocutor’s mistakes during negotiation of meaning process, and determine the students’ negotiation of meaning by emphasizing students’ language awareness with different level of proficiency. The subjects were six senior high school students who were divided into three pairs. The researcher used multiple sources in collecting data including speaking test, tasks, interview, and audio-visul material document. In the analysis mainly qualitative methods were used, but quantitative methods were also used in the presentation of data. The data analysis was done through several steps (1) transcribing and coding students’ utterances; (2) calculating the students’ mistakes in term of language components; (3) interviewing the students; (4) analyzing the whole data obtained. The findings revealed that (1) the students used various ways in terms of signal and responses to express their partial or total lack understanding and react to the interlocutor’s signal. Besides that, the subject tended to produce more number of signals and responses when they were unfamiliar with task given and interested in topic of task which meant the tasks given affected to the students’ interaction. (2) Both the first and second meeting, generally, the students made many mistakes of language components such as grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation. Grammar had the highest frequency. Then, it was followed by pronunciation which took the second place. The last was vocabulary. (3) The students who involved in interaction with different level of proficiency had a low awareness (39.5%) to interlocutor mistakes. The rest, 60.5% indicated the students’ unawareness because all mistakes made by interlocutor were not corrected because they did not know how to correct it. Apparently, there was no guarantee that interaction which focused on negotiation of meaning could help students to obtain comprehensible input if the participants had very low awareness to language components such as grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation by responding their interlocutor mistakes. However, the study revealed that through interaction, it facilitated students to gain students’ motivation and self-confidence in speaking English but it was not in developing students’ knowledge of English as a target language. Keyword: Language Awareness, Negotiation of Meaning, Proficiency

Tipe Karya Ilmiah: Tesis (Masters)
Subyek: 300 Ilmu sosial, sosiologi & antropologi > 370 Pendidikan
400 Bahasa
400 Bahasa > 420 Bahasa Inggris & bahasa Inggris Kuno
Program Studi: Fakultas KIP > Prodi Bahasa Inggris
Perpustakaan Bidang Keahlian > P Language and Literature > Prodi Bahasa Inggris
Depositing User: 188418119 . Digilib
Date Deposited: 03 Jul 2019 08:22
Last Modified: 03 Jul 2019 08:22
URI: http://digilib.unila.ac.id/id/eprint/57541

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item